Monday, December 1, 2014

E-mail: Dec. 1, 2014 "Spin the bottle? I thought this was supposed to be a church activity..."‏

The best part? It was a church activity. ;)

Our ward mission leader told us how they put a new spin on spin the bottle for a YSA activity, where after you spin the bottle the person it lands on has to share a scripture or something similar. I thought that was clever, but I have to say that maybe if they played it the right way they'd all finally start dating each other.

Sorry, it just takes forever for people to get married over here sometimes.

Happy Thanksgiving all! Thanksgiving here was a blast, although the American missionaries and their lucky native companions were the only ones celebrating. We went to a place called "Thugs of Grill" where you pay about $8.00 for all you can eat barbecue served on kabobs over live coals in the middle of your table. Along with that the place featured an Indian buffet complete with all the best dishes and endless Gulab Jamun (the only desert that will be left after the earth is cleansed of imperfection). In short I ate until it was physically impossible for me to eat any more, and then we all waited an hour for the food to digest and went back for round 2. I'm beginning to notice that I'm a little heavier than I was 4 months ago, in fact the first words that one of my MTC batchmates said to me after seeing me for the first time in 3 months were- "dude, you've put on weight."
"No elder, I'm sure it's just the cut of this suit..."

Anyways because of that we've finally started do our exercises in the morning, and I'm hoping that all of Elder Cloward's extra kilograms can be turned into muscle pretty soon.

The work continues to move on over here. We're trying hard to find more people who are truly prepared to hear the word of God instead of people who just want the white guy to visit their family (which we have a lot of). One of the only indicators we have that people really want the happiness that the gospel brings is by their commitment to keep commitments. Think about that as a member of the church now; even though we've been baptized are we truly converted? Are we doing the simple things that our leaders encourage us to do? And if so are we doing it for the right reason? It's helped me to see where I can improve in my life.

Oh, and here's a conversation we had with one of our investigators after teaching about the three kingdoms:

"So brother, which kingdom do you want to go to?"
"The last one."
"What? Brother you know you can only be with your family and Jesus Christ in the Celestial kingdom, don't you like that?"
"...I like stars more."

From now on we may teach about the sun, moon, and stars concept in a later lesson.

Anyways this is Elder Cloward saying "Don't be fool, Stay in Sunday School. :)


from mom (Jen):  I had no idea what Gulab jamun is, so I looked it up.  Here's what wikipedia says about it, I also found the picture above on Google.  :)

"Gulab jamun is a milk-solids based dessert, similar to a dumpling. It is popular in countries of South Asia such as India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Pakistan and Bangladesh, also in the Caribbean countries of Trinidad, Guyana, Suriname and Jamaica and in Mauritius. It is made mainly from milk solids, traditionally from freshly curdled milk. In India, milk solids are prepared by heating milk over a low flame for a long time until most of the water content has evaporated. These milks solids, known as khoya in Pakistan and India, are kneaded into a dough, sometimes with a pinch of flour, and then shaped into small balls and deep fried at a low temperature of about 148 °C.[1] The balls are then soaked in a light sugar syrup flavored with green cardamom and rosewater, kewra or saffron."

No comments:

Post a Comment