Monday, November 2, 2015

E-mail: Oct. 25, 2015 "You underestimate me, Elder..."

This morning the four elders in our apartment went over the the church to begin our P-day. The Elders from the other ward played basketball and my companion and I took some time to practice the piano. The other elders finished first and lefty before we did and when we got back to the apartment we were pleasantly surprised to see that they had cleaned most of the apartment for us. As I commented on how nice the apartment looked one of the elders half-jokingly said "enjoy it for the next two days before it's a mess again." to which I quickly retorted, "you think it'll take me two days? You underestimate me elder." and proceeded to toss my clothes on the floor.

His silence seemed to indicate that he didn't think it was funny.

Okay okay, so Elder Cloward isn't the cleanest missionary in the mission, but I'm working on it. I'm hoping that by the time I finish my mission I'll have become a much more organized and cleanly person, but then again after I come home I'll probably just have messy roommates in college, so is there really a point?...

In other news this week I've been able to see the hand of the Lord working in my extensively in my life. I've been praying for strength to overcome trials and to be liberated from the seemingly endless mountain of stress that's always on my shoulders, and it's finally beginning to let up. As I started wondering what exactly helped me to feel so relieved this past week I've had to step back and take an honest look at myself these last two months. Although I've had a great desire to serve and to do my best here in the Philippines despite the unique challenges of being culture shocked again and not knowing the language I have to admit that there were a few things that I had a less then great attitude about. I've experienced countless new challenges since being here that have tested my patience to the max, and although I've been doing my best to be obedient and overcome my weaknesses I realize now that attitude really means everything. I've learned these past few months that although we can't always control our situations we can always control our attitude. It took a lot of prayers and searching for me to understand that, but thanks to a very patient Heavenly Teacher that knowledge, and the divine strength I've received to apply it, has made everything easier. Our attitude is manifested by the way we approach any situation. Am I looking at this opportunity with humility, faith, and optimism? or am I complaining, murmuring, and unwilling to give it my best effort? "Choose you this day whom ye will serve" can be coupled with "and choose your attitude for how you'll do it". I testify that if we change our attitude we can change our life.

Mahal Kita everyone. :)
-Elder Cloward

No comments:

Post a Comment