Wednesday, July 27, 2016

E-mail July 18, 2016: "Foundations"

We saw something cool this week. As we went to visit a less active member I noticed that they have a great view from their 4th floor balcony in their apartment. As I looked down I could see the empty lot next to us and some construction work going on. In India buildings go up surprisingly quickly, even high rises, so I was surprised to see that the lot was still as empty as it was 5 months ago when I saw it the first time. And then I noticed why:


Hyderabad is famous for many things, among which are big rocks. You don't have to go very far before you find a gigantic stone poking up out of the ground or resting just below the surface and usually blocking someone's way. The lot we were looking at just happens to be settled on one of those giant rocks. Normally when buildings go up here it only takes a few weeks to get the foundation dug out and prepared, but because this rock is in the way it's slowing the progress and it will probably be several more months until they're done cutting holes and blasting apart the stone in preparation for the foundation.



​As I saw this I couldn't help but think about how Helaman counsels us to build our foundation on Christ, the rock of our Redeemer. I learned that it's much easier and faster to build a foundation on soft or sandy soil, like most of the buildings here. To actually build on a rock takes time, energy, and ceaseless effort, but the result is a solid foundation that can withstand any storm. I think Helaman knew that building our lives on Christ and His teachings wouldn't be easy, but I think he also understood very well how critically important it was for his sons, and for each of us, to have that solid foundation under our feet. We can know we're building our foundation on Christ when we're doing our best to do all the things He's asking us to do. My invitation for all of you today is first, look at your life and determine how much rock versus sand is in your foundation, and make changes if you need to. Second, for those of you who are doing your best to follow the teachings of the Saviour but it doesn't seem like you're making much progress, don't get discouraged. Carving a solid foundation out of solid rock has never been easy or fast, but I promise you that if you keep chipping away one day you'll look down from the 10th floor of your testimony and you'll be happy you put in the work. :)


Things area continuing to look up here in AS Rao Nagar. We're busy as ever finding, teaching, and trying to do our best to do all we can here. Sisters Radhika and Flamy are moving closer and closer to their baptisms and we're so excited for them. Again I'm grateful for the miracles we've seen in this area and I'm glad to be a part of this great work. :)

Pictures!

A wild Indian parrot. #Awesome

Pictures from a birthday party last week. (I'm holding a fire extinguisher in my other hand).

The highlight of any Indian birthday party is when we get to feed each other the cake.

Sis Betsy, our amazing missionary mom of the ward.

A wild Indian Elder. #Awesome

 Stay strong and Rock on everyone. :)
-Elder Cloward


No comments:

Post a Comment